UK

Queen hosts virtual engagements after testing positive for COVID-19

The Queen has hosted two virtual engagements just over a week after testing positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace has said.

Earlier on Tuesday, she received His Excellency Carles Jordana Madero, who presented the Letters of Recall of his predecessor and his own Letters of Credence as ambassador from the Principality of Andorra to the Court of St James’s.

She also received His Excellency Mr Kedella Younous Hamidi, who presented his Letters of Credence as ambassador from the Republic of Chad to the Court of St James’s.

The monarch tested positive for coronavirus on 21 February, just weeks after Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall both contracted the virus.

At the time, Buckingham Palace said the 95-year-old was experiencing mild cold-like symptoms.

She undertook light duties at Windsor, including sending a congratulatory message to the Team GB women’s curling team after they won gold at the Beijing Winter Olympics.

Read more: The Queen’s health and how doctors will look to treat Her Majesty after coronavirus diagnosis

More on Covid-19

The monarch also attended a weekly telephone audience with the prime minister, but on 22 February she cancelled her planned virtual engagements.

The Queen has spent much of the pandemic in the safety of Windsor Castle, where there has been a tightly-controlled and limited rota of staff nicknamed “HMS Bubble”.

Celebrations for her Platinum Jubilee of 70 years on the throne – a milestone reached on 6 February – begin in June.

Articles You May Like

Logan Cooley’s hockey journey: From ‘Little Penguin’ to top 2022 NHL draft prospect
Russia in first foreign debt default in over a century, bondholders claim
EU chief tells UK it’s time to get Brexit done in latest salvo over Northern Ireland Protocol
Podcaster Dame Deborah James dies after battle with bowel cancer
This is how Trump supporters reacted to seeing parts of Jan. 6 hearing