US

Terror probe after machete attack near New York’s New Year celebrations as suspect shot

Specialist terrorism experts are investigating an attack involving a machete on police in New York that left three officers hurt.

A man wielding the weapon attacked officers outside the security cordon for the city’s main Times Square celebrations at about 10pm on New Year’s Eve.

Police commissioner Keechant Sewell told reporters: “Unprovoked, a 19-year-old male approached an officer and attempted to strike him over the head with a machete.

“The male then struck two additional officers in the head with the machete.”

It is understood that one of those targeted, who was not seriously injured, shot the suspect in the shoulder enabling his arrest.

All three officers have non-life threatening injuries. One has a skull fracture while another was said to have a deep cut.

Confetti flies around the ball and countdown clock during the first public New Year's event since the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, at Times Square, in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., January 1, 2023. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly
Image:
The incident happened near New York’s New Year celebrations in Times Square

No motive has yet been identified.

More on New York

But law enforcement officials were said to be examining whether the man who allegedly attacked the officers had previously posted, what they called, jihadist writings online and that he had travelled to New York City to deliberately target police.

Sky News affiliate NBC News reported that the FBI’s joint terrorism task force was participating in the investigation.

The Times Square celebrations were not affected by the emergency services response to the attack.

Police believe no-one else was involved.

Articles You May Like

‘No excuse for dodging scrutiny’: Labour demands report on levelling up progress
PM was told of Raab’s ‘unacceptable behaviour’ before appointing him to cabinet, source says
‘Nobody is born smart’: Ex-commander of Russian mercenary group apologises for fighting in Ukraine
UK and US rule out sending F-16 jets to Ukraine – as No 10 says it would be impractical
Westminster’s ‘nepo babies’ are here to stay – whether we like it or not | Adam Boulton