A suspected gunman who killed 10 people in a Chinese New Year mass shooting in California has been found dead.
At around 1.10pm (9.10pm UK time) officers searching for a suspect found a body in the driver’s seat of a van.
And at a news conference, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna confirmed the body was that of the gunman.
Sheriff Luna said the suspect, 72-year-old Huu Can Tran, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound “as officers closed in”.
He said when when officers searched the van they recovered “several pieces of evidence” related to the Monterey Park scene and a second scene in Alhambra.
A handgun was also recovered.
Police had been searching for a suspect since around 10.20pm on Saturday (6.20am UK time) after the gun attack at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park – a city just east of Los Angeles.
At least another 10 people were injured during the incident and were taken to hospital for treatment, with their conditions ranging from critical to stable.
Videos posted online showed officers swarming the area, firefighters attending to injured people and victims on stretchers being put into ambulances.
Sheriff Luna said around 30 minutes later, a man with a gun entered the Lai Lai Ballroom in nearby Alhambra.
The suspect entered the Alhambra club with a gun, and people wrested the weapon away from him before he fled, he added.
Tens of thousands of people had gathered in the city for a two-day festival, which is considered one of the largest Lunar New Year celebrations in the region.