US

‘Serial killer’ hunted in LA after three homeless people shot dead

Los Angeles police are hunting a potential serial killer after three homeless people were shot dead in separate incidents.

The murders took place over a few days – between 26 and 29 November – and the city’s mayor warned rough sleepers on Friday: “Try not to be alone tonight.”

CCTV has been released of the suspect, who’s described as male and probably wearing a hoodie; as well as a dark-coloured vehicle he might be using.

Pic: LAPD
Image:
Pic: LAPD

LA police chief Michel Moore said a special task force had been set up “to uncover the identity of a potential serial killer preying on the most vulnerable in our community”.

The murders share similarities: all three happened in the early hours and all suspects were homeless and alone.

Mr Moore said all were shot as they were sleeping or preparing to bed down for the night.

The Los Angeles Times named them as Jose Bolanos, 37, Mark Diggs, 62, and a 52-year-old man who’s yet to be named.

Read more from Sky News:
Santos expelled from House in historic vote
First woman on US Supreme Court dies aged 93

Mayor Karen Bass said she had met with the housing department and homeless service and that they are doing “all we can to make shelter and services available”.

“Our message to our unhoused community is clear – try not to be alone tonight,” she said.

The mayor added: “To the many Angelenos who have friends or family who are unhoused, please let them know the danger that exists.”

Articles You May Like

NBA All-Star grades: Breaking down MVP Mathurin, Wemby and other Rising Stars
Woman jailed for handing over three-year-old girl for genital mutilation
Russia takes complete control of Ukrainian city in ‘important’ victory
Snoop Dogg’s younger brother dies aged 44
The crown has slipped from the humiliated King of New York’s head