The final six candidates to become the next leader of the Conservative Party – and prime minister – are readying themselves for a second round of votes later, which will see at least one of them eliminated from the race. Former Chancellor Rishi Sunak leads the field, having gained support from 88 MPs in yesterday’s
Politics
The Conservative leadership contender Nadhim Zahawi has said he would “certainly” offer Boris Johnson a role in his cabinet if he were to be elected the party’s next leader. Speaking to LBC, the newly appointed chancellor described the outgoing prime minister as “a good friend” and “probably the most consequential prime minister of his generation”.
Eight contenders in the race to replace Boris Johnson. But it was a day defined by one particular run-off in the competition: the tussle between frontrunner Rishi Sunak and the “Stop Rishi” campaign. It’s a drama that’s got everyone in Westminster reaching for the popcorn, as those loyal to Boris Johnson take very public aim
Labour will today push to hold a no confidence vote in the government to remove Boris Johnson from Number 10 and potentially trigger a general election. The party wants the vote to take place in the Commons tomorrow, rather than allowing the prime minister to stay in post while the Conservatives elect a new leader.
Boris Johnson has said he is “determined” to fulfil his Conservative Party’s winning 2019 mandate in his final few weeks as leader – as he refuses to back any one leadership contender. Speaking to broadcasters for the first time since his resignation last week, Mr Johnson said he will continue to “oversee the process” before
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has officially joined the race for the Tory leadership, with Home Secretary Priti Patel potentially set to announce her candidacy. A surprise entry has also been made by Foreign Office minister Rehman Chishti, meaning 11 Conservatives are now fighting to replace Boris Johnson as prime minister. Writing in the Telegraph newspaper,
Boris Johnson showed a “careless disregard for national security” in holding a private meeting with an ex-KGB agent in the wake of the Salisbury poisoning, Labour has said. Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge On Sunday programme it was “irresponsible” and “unthinkable” that Mr Johnson, who was then foreign secretary, would
Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, has become the latest Conservative to announce a bid to become the next prime minister. Mr Shapps pledged to end “tactical government by an often distracted centre”. He joins a leadership race that includes the former chancellor Rishi Sunak, who announced his bid on Friday, vowing to “restore trust, rebuild
Four more Conservative MPs have joined the Tory leadership race, widening the field to eight. Nadhim Zahawi, the newly appointed chancellor, Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, and the ex-health secretaries Jeremy Hunt and Sajid Javid all announced their bids on Saturday. Earlier in the day Ben Wallace, who was the bookies’ favourite to succeed Mr
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and his deputy Angela Rayner have been cleared of breaking lockdown rules on a visit to Durham last year, following a police investigation. Both had vowed to step down if they were found to have breached regulations during a trip to the city in April 2021, ahead of the Hartlepool
The resignation of Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Sajid Javid could be the final blow for Boris Johnson’s premiership after the political heavyweights attacked the PM’s “lack of integrity”, competence and leadership. The prime minister narrowly survived a confidence vote in him last month. Tory MPs voted by 211 to 148 in support of
Boris Johnson has told his cabinet ministers his government will not seek to implement new policies or make major changes of direction after he resigned as Conservative Party leader. Addressing his reshuffled top team of ministers for the first time since resigning earlier on Thursday, Mr Johnson said his priority is “to continue delivering on
Grant Shapps is believed to be considering a Conservative Party leadership bid as Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab has ruled himself out of the contest, Sky News understands. It is understood that the transport secretary is one of the first senior Conservative MPs to be seriously considering the option of standing in the upcoming race.
The possibility Boris Johnson could stay on as a “caretaker” prime minister until the autumn after he resigns today has caused concerns among government and opposition leaders. The cabinet is split over whether Mr Johnson should stay or not until a new Conservative leader is appointed in October, sources close to the government have told
Simon Hart has resigned as Secretary of State for Wales following Boris Johnson’s refusal to stand down, despite calls from some of his own cabinet ministers to do so. Mr Hart had earlier been among the cabinet ministers who told Mr Johnson he should listen to the overwhelming view of the Conservative Party and hand
Nadhim Zahawi has been appointed Boris Johnson’s new chancellor after Rishi Sunak dramatically quit the role. He moves from the post of education secretary, a role which has now been awarded to former universities minister Michelle Donelan. The resignations of Mr Sunak and his fellow senior minister Sajid Javid have left the prime minister battling
Boris Johnson has apologised for appointing Chris Pincher deputy chief whip, saying it “was a mistake” and “in hindsight the wrong thing to do”. The prime minister said sorry to “everybody who has been badly affected” adding, “I just want to make absolutely clear that there is no place in this government for anybody who
Boris Johnson was briefed “in person” about an allegation of inappropriate behaviour against disgraced MP Chris Pincher in 2019, a former senior civil servant has claimed. Since the deputy chief whip resigned his post last week after allegations of groping two men, Number 10 has said the prime minister was not aware of specific allegations.
Carrie Johnson openly questioned Chris Pincher’s suitability as a government whip as far back as 2017, Sky News understands. While communications director at CCHQ in 2017, Mrs Johnson (then Ms Symonds) questioned how Mr Pincher had ever ended up in the whips’ office in correspondence seen by Sky News. The exchanges followed Mr Pincher’s resignation
Education minister Will Quince says he has been given “categorical assurance” from Number 10 that Boris Johnson was “not aware of any serious specific allegations” against his disgraced former deputy chief whip, Chris Pincher, when he was appointed. Mr Pincher quit the role last week after he was accused of drunkenly groping two men at
- « Previous Page
- 1
- …
- 94
- 95
- 96
- 97
- 98
- …
- 110
- Next Page »